Skip to content
Communication tips for shy people
- Prepare well in advance. Practice at home, research, have some points of discussion handy.
- Be accustomed to listening to your own voice. It will build your confidence muscle and you practice eloquence and can hear yourself think and speak.
- If put on the spotlight, or to avoid being put on the spotlight, be interested in the other person and listen and ask questions rather than speak about yourself.
- Choose general topics over personal topics
- Scan the room and find the kind, supportive face and hold on to that. When speaking, hover above people’s heads as opposed to seeking eye contact.
- In social gatherings, find the person who mirrors you or looks like they will complement you in a safe way, strike up small talk with them to assess compatibility.
- If unsure, ask for more time to respond
- Have some diplomatic exit points handy for awkward situations e.g. I need to use the bathroom:-)
- Always speak from the heart, to the heart.