Why are personal interests/hobbies important?
They say an idle mind is the devil workshop. Through hobbies or pursuing our personal interests we get to utilize our time and resources in things that are beneficial to our psychological or physiological well-being
What are the benefits of having hobbies and things you love?
- Self-discovery: we are able to discover our likes, dislikes, strengths and weaknesses
- Hobbies may point us in the right direction as far as our career choices are concerned. There are people who have made whole professions out of what started off as a hobby e.g. Interior design, Sports Coaching, Fashion and Beauty etc.
- Through meeting like-minded people who enjoy the same things as we do, we get to make meaningful connections and at times even lifelong friendships and romance.
- Some hobbies have added physiological benefits such as yoga, sports etc while some provide food for the soul e.g. reading books
- Through hobbies we never stop learning about ourselves and the world.
How does one begin finding what interests them?
- Buy a journal and write anything that comes to mind. E.g. favorite song, food, color etc.
- Do more of what you love to do.
- Read inspirational books or watch inspirational DVDs.
- Have some me time during the day and spend time in solitude.
- Try new activities and learn more about yourself.
- When making friends, lean towards like-minded people.
How can life coaching help one find hobbies?
Life Coaches may ask thought provoking questions meant to ignite your self-discovery such as:
- What do you wish for, long for or want?
- What motivates you, draws you in, intrigues or excites you?
- What inspires your adventurous curiosity and creativity?
- What do you love doing?
- What is the explosive flame in your belly?
- What natural gifts, artistry, craft or inborn creativity and skills do you have?
- What were you like as a child
More often than not, hobbies become intertwined in our life path and become the very key needed to unlock even more possibilities for us to live our truth!